Thursday, October 15, 2009

Through a fiberglass, darkly

Well the moment of truth arrived last night. I laid the fiberglass into the mold and started the drying process. This is where we get to see whether all the sculpting and molding and casting and everything actually works out. I'm really hoping that it does, and that this mask will be awesome.

I was a bit worried last night and this morning, as the resin didn't seem to be drying at all. It was just sitting there, staying sticky. I used a lot of resin because fiberglass cloth is very thirsty, and I used what I though was an appropriate amount of hardener. So, I was concerned that maybe I'd messed it up somehow and it wasn't going to dry and I'd have to cut the cloth and lay it in again and all that. Ugh. thankfully, today at lunch everything appeared to be hardening up. The edges are getting significantly stiffer, which is a very good sign. It may be another few hours before the thing is really on its way to being fully hardened and I'm tempted just to leave it be until tomorrow night. We'll see how my patience is looking.

In the meantime, here are some pics of the mold with the fiberglass in it and the workspace. I felt like such a champion when I set up my station. I had popsicle sticks and disposable brushes and latex gloves all ready and waiting, had all my glass cloth cut and laid out, had my respirator, had a little cardboard box for trash and everything. Even had a tuna can for mixing the resin so I don't ruin anything I care about. The preparation really paid off in ease of work. I'll be doing that again, for sure.

This is the workspace and the mold with the glass in it. You can see that it's just a scrap piece of particle board on two saw horses, but it worked well for me. Didn't risk my nice bench top, either.

Looks nasty, right? It smells terrible. It's taking a long time to cure but I'm going to let it just air out for a good long while, too. I may suggest a clearcoat or a coat of paint on the inside of the mask as well as the outside to lock the fumes in.


So there it is! Next pics will be of it pulled out of the mold and ready for trimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment