Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oh, look! A new hobby!

So my wife found something yesterday called Chip Carving. I'm sure I'd seen things done with it before but never really knew what it was or how it was done. We ran over to the local woodworking store (yes, we totally have one of those) and picked up a couple carving knives and a sharpening stone. We also hit the hobby shop and grabbed a big basswood plaque. Basswood is apparently the greatest thing ever for carving. Good to know.

Here's the site where we're getting most of our info: My Chip Carving

There are lots of videos from this guy on Youtube and you probably have some books at the library you could check out, too. It's really just a neat way to decorate wood. I'll need to find a decent source for basswood if we keep going with this but it's certainly a beautiful decoration even if we just use smaller pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment