Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The White Stuff

The white silicone is really surprising me in several ways. First, it seems to be easier to put on large amounts of it and have it dry quickly. No idea what that's about. Second, it seems to be very flexible, but also pretty tough. We'll see how that pans out later. I've got the cut seam on there and drying today. I'm thinking I'll be pouring plaster into the mold to make the cast this time. Partly because I'm out of bandages and don't feel like buying or making more and partly because it'll be much easier to store that way. I'll be using a little 1-quart bucket as the mold for the plaster, so everything will fit inside of that. I will even endeavor to be able to use the lid on the thing. We'll see how that goes.

I'm also going to the store today to get the smooth-on Oomoo 30 trial pack. It's $25, but I think it's worth the expense to learn how to use this stuff and to see if it's worth it in terms of quality of the mold and time saved. I mocked up a quick model of the candle form I'll be using in Google Sketchup. That program is amazing.



Pretty cool, eh? I think it'll make a great candle. So I'm doing all that, maybe even tonight. Should be exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment