Thursday, January 14, 2010

Plaster Casts

So I've gotten to the next step in the project with the trial run. I have finished the silicone mold, and am now working on the plaster mother mold. This part is kind of fun, and it's a neat way to do it. I did mess up a bit in a few key ways. First, I forgot to add the clay separation around the edge of the mold. Whoops! That just about messed me up. Second, when I did put the clay on there, I didn't make the wall flat or wide enough. It needs to be very flat and very wide. You'll want at least 2.5-3 full inches of clay on all sides so you can get a serious overlap. I think covering the clay with foil is a good idea, too. It keeps your clay from getting all plastery, and it will also help on the other side. I'm actually thinking about just doing the foil instead of the petroleum jelly for this one. We'll see.

So anyway, things seem to be going well. It has been an incredible amount of work to get this thing done, and it's taking a really long time. Next time, I think I can speed up the process with a few minor changes. Since I'll be following that one in photos and on this blog, I'll save the explanations for when I have pictures to show the reasons more effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment