Friday, January 8, 2010

Source Documents

Just so you don't think that I come up with all this stuff on my own, here's the site where I've gotten most of my info on mold-making and casting. I've also included the videos pertaining to the method I'm going to be using for this project.

Smooth-On

Here's their youtube site: Smooth-On Youtube

This is an idea I've had for a while: Statuary Candles

This is actually closer to what I'll be doing. Without spending a buttload of money on the pourable silicone mold-making stuff, you sort of have to use the stuff you brush on. Part 1 and Part 2

Since I'm cheap, I'll be using the hardware store silicone instead of the fancy mold-making silicone. This means a few things. First, I have to do a lot more thin layers than they do. Their stuff is awesome and thick layers will dry very quickly. The hardware store stuff needs plenty of air to cure. If you put too thick of a layer on, the underside won't dry and you'll end up with a cured silicone jacket riding on a nasty gel layer. Second, it really needs to be done outside. I don't know for sure that the fumes from the silicone are harmful, but it really stinks. Smooth-On has spent a ton of money on R&D to make their stuff nonhazardous and still effective. I'll also be using plaster bandages instead of the plasti-paste. This is also because I'm cheap. A roll of plaster bandages is like $6 or you can go even cheaper by buying some burlap and some Plaster of Paris and making your own. If you think the stuff they use in these videos is awesome (and you'd be right) you can get cool starter kits from them with everything you need to make your own, but it'll set you back $50 or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment