Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bumpy Road to Joinery

Alas, the initial success I had with the finger joints has not been repeated. Because of the way the jig works, any slight discrepancy in the width of the fingers (since the gaps' width is predetermined by the kerf of the saw blade) gets magnified over the piece until you get a piece that simple cannot fit into any other piece. I spent at least an hour just trying to nudge the jig against the fence, moving it by fractions of a millimeter before running another 1x2 through it to see how it fared. Unfortunately, I never did get it just right. I'm not sure what I need to do to get it perfect again, but I need to figure something out. I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm also planning to shorten my walking stick by maybe 6", though I'm now debating whether to go with a smaller ball. The big 3" sphere looks kinda cool, actually. I'm still not entirely sure how I want to attach it to the rest of the stick structure, though. Glues and epoxies are generally so messy. I'd like a mechanical attachment but I'm not sure what would work. I'll think of something, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment