Monday, August 17, 2009

Another new project

Here's the other thing I'm working on now:



It's a walking stick, carved from western cedar, capped on top and bottom with copper bands, with a glowing glass globe as the grip. It's taking a heck of a lot of work, but I think it'll turn out very well. it started as a rough-cut 2"x4"x8' piece of cedar, ripped and cut to 1.5"x1.5"x4' and then painstakingly rounded down with a drawknife and rasp. Next, I need to taper it from a 1.5" diameter at the top to a 1" diameter at the bottom, then go to work carving the grooves to make the spiral shape. Then I'm going to drill down into the top to make a place to put a battery and an LED. I'll have to drill out a place for a switch as well, so I can turn the light on and off.

I'm still not sure what I'll use for the globe. Glass is super heavy unless it's hollow, and if it's hollow it's generally fragile. I may have to look into something else. I'm going to try a few different sizes for the orb on top and see what I like. I'm thinking I may end up getting a clear acrylic ball for contact juggling, but in a smaller size. I'll keep you informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment