Friday, December 23, 2011

WANDS. It's all caps because there are so many.

Okay, here goes. A rundown on all the wands I've made so far. I'm going by memory here and I'm no Ollivander just yet, so bear with me if there's something I've forgotten.

#1 - Maple with English Chestnut stain and no clear coat, ~10" long

#2 - Poplar with satin polyurethane finish and no stain, ~12"


#3 - Maple, semi-gloss polyurethane and no stain, ~12"

#4 - Alder with satin lacquer and no stain, ~12"

#5 - Alder with dark walnut stain and satin polyurethane, ~12"

#6 - Maple with satin polyurethane and no stain, ~12"

#7 - Red oak with english chestnut stain and semi-gloss polyurethane, ~12"

#8 - Alder with english chestnut stain and no polyurethane, ~12"

#9 - Unknown wood (maybe rosewood?) with semi-gloss polyurethane and no stain, ~12"

#10 - Mahogany with semi-gloss polyurethane and no stain, ~13"

#11 - Red oak with red mahogany stain and satin polyurethane, ~12"

#12 - Cedar with red mahogany stain and satin polyurethane, ~10"

#13 - Maple, dark walnut stain and satin polyurethane, ~16"

#14 - White oak with golden oak stain and satin polyurethane, ~10"

#15 - Lignum vitae without any stain or clear coat, ~13"

So there you have it. That's everything that popped out of my brain and onto the lathe in the past few weeks. Hopefully that gives you some idea of the capabilities and design options. I've got plenty more, actually, and new tools and more practice are opening things up even more, but that's going to have to be another post. Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's fun! Are you selling these? In what setting and for how much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am definitely selling them. I just put my first item up on my shiny new Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Septimus39) but I also take orders through Facebook or anywhere else, really. Prices vary, depending on the materials, the design, the timeframe, etc. Generally they're going to be in the $25-40 range unless it's a super expensive wood or a really complicated design or whatever. I'm also looking into doing some inlaid wood designs, or some where they're made of two different woods or with crystals inlaid into them and other such stuff. The sky's the limit!

    ReplyDelete