Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A link to some inspiration

Great Site: Volpin Props

Saw this site a few places in the past few days and have read it over multiple times since. It's amazing. This guy does incredible work and produces truly astounding copies of various movie and video game objects and characters. It really humbles and inspires me.

I have a tendency to think that any good prop must be made of authentic materials to be "worthy" and that really limits me. If I don't have the tools to work the appropriate material, I don't do the project. What I need to be doing is what this guy does: Look at what I can work and use finishing techniques to make it look right. I can build most anything out of MDF with tools I already have. I can sculpt clay into just about any shape and then make resin copies. Really, with my current tools, very little is actually out of my reach. I have been thinking too much of making copies as opposed to replicas. A few projects I've got in mind could definitely be viable now, based on the techniques this guy is using. Mostly, I need to get some of these resins and mold-making materials to practice a bit.

So anyway, there's that. I have some great pictures I just haven't loaded on here yet. I'll try to do that shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment