Thursday, August 5, 2010

Slight Change in Design

We were working on the project some more, and came up with a different idea for how to do it. So here's the updated design:

The lid is also made of slats now, but the bottom is still solid. The bottom row of slats also goes around the outside instead of sitting on top of the bottom. This is so we can use a piece of plywood for the bottom without having to buy edge-banding for it. Smart, huh?

The box as it will look closed. I think the slats on the top really make it look more consistent.

Here it is with a fake wood pattern on it. We're making this out of red oak, as I think I mentioned, and it will have a lovely, dark finish. We're going to put a fair amount of polyurethane on here too, to protect it from the elements, and I'm thinking a satin finish will look best. The bike is shiny, but super-shiny wood always looks a little weird to me for some reason.

I changed the inside of the lid, too. I think the two pieces resting on the inner supports will be plenty, and again, it just looks more like a crate this way.

We still haven't gotten past the planning and purchasing phase, but I hope this weekend will change all that. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment