Monday, May 4, 2009

More tests, more happy

Yesterday, I tried the sling in the test chamber again, but this time with a racquetball, a 1.25-inch diameter super ball and a lacrosse ball. As the ammunition gets heavier, the speed at which it is thrown gets faster. The lacrosse ball was by far the heaviest, and when I threw it from as far back in the court as I could, it bounced off the front wall and got back to me still going fast enough to hurt my hand. I'm not trying to throw anything with extra force, I'm just letting the sling do the work, and the increased weight is increasing the rotational velocity of the sling and thus the release velocity of the ball.

I still haven't gotten to head out to an open field to see how far I can throw something, but I'm hoping to do that soon. I also really want to throw at a target, to see how accurate I am. I'm thinking of taping out a small square in the racquetball court next time I got down, and trying to work on hitting it consistently.

No comments:

Post a Comment